Last Updated: September September 3, 2017
PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY. IT SETS FORTH THE LEGALLY BINDING TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE AND PRODUCTS AND SERVICES AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE THROUGH THE SERVICE.
THESE TERMS REQUIRE YOU ARBITRATE ANY DISPUTES YOU HAVE WITH US AND YOU WAIVE THE ABILITY TO BRING CLAIMS AGAINST US IN A CLASS ACTION FORMAT.
Welcome! You have arrived at a web site or mobile app that is provided by Give Comics Hope ( “we,” “our” or “us”). These Terms and Conditions (“Terms”) govern your use of www.givecomicshope.org (including, without limitation, both mobile and online versions of our sites and our e-commerce store), and also applies to your use of all features, applications, content, downloads and other services that we make available through the sites or app and/or that post a link to these Terms (collectively, referred to herein as the “Service”).
If You Want to Use This Service,
then carefully read these entire Terms (including all links to details), as they constitute a written agreement between you and us and they affect your legal rights and obligations. Each time you access and/or use the Service (other than to simply read these Terms), you agree to be bound by and comply with these Terms and any Additional Terms (defined below) then posted. Therefore, do not use the Service if you do not agree.
The business realities associated with operating the Service are such that, without the conditions that are set forth in these Terms — such as your grants and waivers of rights, the limitations on our liability, your indemnity of us, and arbitration of certain disputes – we would not make the Service available to you.
Table of Contents
It is important that you read and understand these entire Terms before using the Service. This table of contents further highlights some key issues and points and you can click on the headings and “More” links to be taken to the full explanation.
- Service Content, Ownership, Limited License and Rights of Others
We only grant you a limited revocable license to use the Service for your own non-commercial use subject to rules and limitations.
- Service and Content Use Restrictions
Your use is subject to our rules.
- Terms Applicable to Purchases
If you purchase goods or services through our e-commerce store, these terms apply.
- Opening and Terminating Accounts
You may open, revise and close your accounts.
- Feedback You Submit
You grant us a broad license, which we may sublicense, to the content or feedback you submit, which you represent you have the right to allow us to use. More
- Notices, Questions and Customer Service
Click here to contact us for customer service or questions. You agree that we may provide you notices, including notices of new terms and conditions, by posting notice on the home page of the Service or by other reasonable means, such as to the email you provided.
- Links by You to the Service
You may link to our Service, subject to some basic rules.
- Linked-To Websites; Advertisements; Dealings with Third Parties
We are not responsible for third parties or their content, advertisements, apps or sites.
- Wireless Features
Wireless carrier charges may apply to use of the Service via wireless networks or Devices.
- Dispute Resolution
You agree to arbitrate most disputes and waive jury trial and class actions.
- Disclaimer of Representations and Warranties
We disclaim most warranties and provide the Service “As Is”.
- Limitations of our Liability
Our liability is greatly limited.
- Updates to Terms
These Terms and Additional Terms posted on the Service at each time of use apply to that use, and the Terms may be prospectively updated as our Service evolves. Posting of new terms on the Service is notice to you thereof.
- General Provisions
You agree to various other terms and conditions.
Full Details of Terms and Conditions
- Service Content, Ownership, Limited License and Rights of Others
- Content. The Service contains a variety of: (i) materials and other items relating to us, our products and services, and similar items from our licensors and other third parties, including all layout, information, books, downloads, articles, reviews, posts, text, data, files, images, scripts, designs, graphics, button icons, instructions, illustrations, photographs, audio clips, music, sounds, pictures, videos, advertising copy, URLs, technology, software, interactive features, the “look and feel” of the Service, and the compilation, assembly, and arrangement of the materials of the Service and any and all copyrightable material (including source and object code); (ii) trademarks, trade dress, logos, trade names, service marks, and/or trade identities of various parties, including those of Give Comics Hope (collectively, “Trademarks”); and (iii) other forms of intellectual property (all of the foregoing, collectively “Content”).
- Ownership. The Service (including past, present and future versions) and the Content are owned or controlled by us and our licensors and certain other third parties. All rights, title, and interest in and to the Content available via the Service is our property or our licensors or certain other third parties, and is protected by U.S. and international copyright, trademark, trade dress, patent, or other intellectual property and unfair competition rights and laws to the fullest extent possible. We own the copyright in the selection, compilation, assembly, arrangement, and enhancement of the Content on the Service.
- Limited License. Subject to your strict compliance with these Terms and the Additional Terms, we grants you a limited, non-exclusive, revocable, non-assignable, personal, and non-transferable license to download (temporary storage only), display, view, use, play, and/or print one copy of the Content (excluding source and object code in raw form or otherwise, other than as made available to access and use to enable display and functionality) on a personal computer, mobile phone or other wireless device, or other Internet enabled device (each, a “Device”) for your personal, non-commercial use only. The foregoing limited license: (i) does not give you any ownership of, or any other intellectual property interest in, any Content, and (ii) may be immediately suspended or terminated for any reason, in our sole discretion, and without advance notice or liability. In some instances, we may permit you to have greater access to and use of Content, subject to certain Additional Terms.
- Rights of Others. When using the Service, you must respect the intellectual property and other rights of Give Comics Hope and others. Your unauthorized use of Content may violate copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, communications, and other laws, and any such use may result in your personal liability, including potential criminal liability.
- Service and Content Use Restrictions
- Service Use Restrictions. You agree that you will not: (i) use the Service for any political or commercial purpose (including, without limitation, for purposes of advertising, soliciting funds, collecting product prices, and selling products); (ii) use any meta tags or any other “hidden text” utilizing any Trademarks; (iii) engage in any activities through or in connection with the Service that seek to attempt to or do harm any individuals or entities or are unlawful, offensive, obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, violent, threatening, harassing, or abusive, or that violate any right of any third party, or are otherwise objectionable to us; (iv) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, reverse assemble, or modify any Service source or object code or any software or other products, services, or processes accessible through any portion of the Service; (v) engage in any activity that interferes with a user’s access to the Service or the proper operation of the Service, or otherwise causes harm to the Service, us, or other users of the Service; (vi) interfere with or circumvent any security feature of the Service or any feature that restricts or enforces limitations on use of or access to the Service or the Content; (vii) harvest or otherwise collect or store any information (including personally identifiable information about other users of the Service, including email addresses, without the express consent of such users); (viii) attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Service, other computer systems or networks connected to the Service, through password mining or any other means; (ix) falsely claim that you are associated with another person or entity, or otherwise disguise the origin of information transmitted to, from, or through the Service; or (x) otherwise violate these Terms or any Additional Terms or circumvent any measures implemented by us aimed at preventing violations of these Terms or any Additional Terms.
- Content Use Restrictions. You also agree that, in using the Service: (i) you will not monitor, gather, copy, or distribute the Content (except as may be a result of standard search engine activity or use of a standard browser) on the Service by using any robot, rover, “bot”, spider, scraper, crawler, spyware, engine, device, software, extraction tool, or any other automatic device, utility, or manual process of any kind; (ii) you will not frame or utilize framing techniques to enclose any such Content (including any images, text, or page layout); (iii) you will keep intact all Trademark, copyright, and other intellectual property notices contained in such Content; (iv) you will not use such Content in a manner that suggests an unauthorized association with any of our or our licensors’ products, services, or brands; (v) you will not make any modifications to such Content; (vi) you will not copy, modify, reproduce, archive, sell, lease, rent, exchange, create derivative works from, publish by hard copy or electronic means, publicly perform, display, disseminate, distribute, broadcast, retransmit, circulate or transfer to any third party or on any third-party application or website, or otherwise use or exploit such Content in any way for any purpose except as specifically permitted by these Terms or any Additional Terms or with the prior written consent of an officer of Give Comics Hope or, in the case of Content from a licensor, the owner of the Content; and (vii) you will not insert any code or product to manipulate such Content in any way that adversely affects any user experience.
- Availability of Service and Content. We may immediately suspend or terminate the availability of the Service and Content (and any elements and features of them), in whole or in part, for any reason, in our sole discretion, and without advance notice or liability.
- Reservation of All Rights Not Granted as to Content and Service. These Terms and any Additional Terms include only narrow, limited grants of rights to Content and to use and access the Service. No right or license may be construed, under any legal theory, by implication, estoppel, industry custom, or otherwise. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by us and our licensors and other third parties. Any unauthorized use of any Content or the Service for any purpose is prohibited.
- Terms Applicable to Purchases
- Generally. To purchase any products or services in our online e-commerce store, you must be at least eighteen (18) years of age or the applicable age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence. Prior to the purchase of any products or services, you must provide us with a valid credit card number and associated payment information including all of the following: (i) your name as it appears on the card, (ii) your credit card number, (iii) the date of expiration, and (iv) any activation numbers or codes needed to charge your card or otherwise use a valid gift card. By submitting that information to us or our third party credit card processor, you agree that you authorize us and/or our processor to charge your card at our convenience but within thirty (30) days of credit card authorization. For any product or service that you order on the Service, you agree to pay the price applicable (including any sales taxes and surcharges) as of the time you submit the order. We will automatically bill your credit card or other form of payment submitted as part of the order process for such price. Please note that we do not provide price protection or refunds in the event of a price drop or promotional offering.
- Methods of Payment, Credit Card Terms and Taxes. All payments must be made through your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. We currently do not accept cash, personal or business checks or any other payment form, although in the future we may change this policy. Your card issuer agreement governs your use of your designated card, and you must refer to that agreement and not these Terms to determine your rights and liabilities as a cardholder. You represent and warrant that you will not use any credit card or other form of payment unless you have all necessary legal authorization to do so. YOU, AND NOT US, ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING ANY UNAUTHORIZED AMOUNTS BILLED TO YOUR CREDIT CARD BY A THIRD PARTY. You agree to pay all fees and charges incurred in connection with your purchases (including any applicable taxes) at the rates in effect when the charges were incurred. Unless you notify us of any discrepancies within sixty (60) days after they first appear on your credit card statement, you agree that they will be deemed accepted by you for all purposes. If we do not receive payment from your credit card issuer or its agent, you agree to pay all amounts due upon demand by us or our agents. Sales taxes, or other taxes, customs, import/export charges, or similar governmental charges are not included in the price of the products. You are responsible for paying any such taxes or charges imposed on your purchases, including, but not limited to, sales, use or value-added taxes. We shall automatically charge and withhold the applicable tax for orders to be delivered to addresses within and any states or localities that it deems is required in accordance with our order policy in effect at the time of purchase.
- Return Policy. All purchase transactions made through the Service are subject to our return policy in effect at the time of purchase. Currently, our return policy is that it accepts returns if the product is clearly and reasonably damaged or misprinted. We may, in our sole discretion, accept returns for other reasons.
- Order Acceptance Policy. Your receipt of an electronic or other form of order confirmation does not signify our acceptance of your order, nor does it constitute confirmation of our offer to sell. We reserve the right at any time after receipt of your order to accept or decline your order for any reason. We further reserve the right any time after receipt of your order, without prior notice to you, to supply less than the quantity you ordered of any item. Your order will be deemed accepted by us upon our delivery of products or services that you have ordered. We may require additional verifications or information before accepting any order. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you agree that, if we cancel all or a portion of your order or if we provide you less than the quantity you ordered, your sole and exclusive remedy is either that: (a) we will issue a credit to your credit card account in the amount charged for the cancelled portion or the quantity not provided (if your credit card has already been charged for the order) or (b) we will not charge your credit card for the cancelled portion of the order or the quantity not provided. Do not assume that a cancellation or change of an order you have placed with us has been effected until you receive a confirmation from us via email or the Service. As stated above, you will be responsible for, and your credit card or third-party payment account may be charged for, the payment of all fees associated with orders already processed or shipped before your cancellation/change request or a request to terminate your account was received.
- No Responsibility to Sell Mispriced Products or Services. We do our best to describe every item, product or service offered on this Service as accurately as possible. However, we are human, and therefore we do not warrant that specifications or pricing on the Service is complete, accurate, reliable, current, or error-free. In the event of any errors relating to the pricing or specifications of any item, product or service, we shall have the right to refuse or cancel any orders in its sole discretion. If we charged your credit card or other account prior to cancellation, we will issue a credit to your account in the amount of the charge. Additional terms may apply. If a product you purchased from us is not as described, your sole remedy is to return it in unused condition, complete and undamaged, in the original packaging.
- Modifications to Prices or Billing Terms. The purchase of products and services on the Service is subject to availability. PRODUCTS AND SERVICES DISPLAYED ON THE SERVICE MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES AND MAY BE SUBSTITUTED OR DISCONTINUED AT ANY TIME. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT, AT ANY TIME, TO CHANGE ITS PRICES AND BILLING METHODS FOR SERVICES SOLD, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UPON POSTING ON THE SERVICE OR BY E-MAIL DELIVERY TO YOU.
- Opening and Terminating Accounts
If you register for any feature that requires a password and/or username, then you will select your own password at the time of registration (or we may send you an e-mail notification with a randomly generated initial password) and you agree that: (i) You will not use a username (or e-mail address) that is already being used by someone else, may impersonate another person, belongs to another person, violates the intellectual property or other right of any person or entity, or is offensive. We may reject the use of any password, username, or e-mail address for any other reason in our sole discretion; (ii) You will provide true, accurate, current, and complete registration information about yourself in connection with the registration process and, as permitted, to maintain and update it continuously and promptly to keep it accurate, current, and complete; (iii) You are solely responsible for all activities that occur under your account, password, and username – whether or not you authorized the activity; (iv) You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and for restricting access to your Device so that others may not access any password protected portion of the Service using your name, username, or password; (v) You will immediately notify us of any unauthorized use of your account, password, or username, or any other breach of security; and (vi) You will not sell, transfer, or assign your account or any account rights.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage (of any kind and under any legal theory) to you or any third party arising from your inability or failure for any reason to comply with any of the foregoing obligations.
If any information that you provide, or if we have reasonable grounds to suspect that any information that you provide, is false, inaccurate, outdated, incomplete, or violates these Terms, any Additional Terms, or any applicable law, then we may suspend or terminate your account. We also reserve the more general and broad right to terminate your account or suspend or otherwise deny you access to it or its benefits – all in our sole discretion, for any reason, and without advance notice or liability.
- Feedback You Submit
- General. We may now or in the future offer users of the Service the opportunity to post, upload, display, publish, distribute, transmit or otherwise make available on or submit through the Service, messages, text, files, comments, responses, information, content, results, reviews, suggestions, personally identifiable information, or other information or materials and the ideas contained therein (collectively, “User-Generated Content”). We may allow you to do this through contact us, email, and other communications functionality. Subject to the rights and license you grant in these Terms, you retain whatever legally cognizable right, title, and interest that you have in your User-Generated Content and you remain ultimately responsible for it.
- License to Us of Your User-Generated Content. Except as otherwise described in any applicable Additional Terms, which specifically govern the submission of your User-Generated Content), you hereby grant to us, and you agree to grant to us, the non-exclusive, unrestricted, unconditional, unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, and cost-free right and license to use, copy, record, distribute, reproduce, disclose, sell, re-sell, sublicense (through multiple levels), display, publicly perform, transmit, publish, broadcast, translate, make derivative works of, and otherwise use and exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of your User-Generated Content (and derivative works thereof), for any purpose whatsoever in all formats, on or through any means or medium now known or hereafter developed, and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed, and to advertise, market, and promote the same. Without limitation, the granted rights include the right to: (a) configure, host, index, cache, archive, store, digitize, compress, optimize, modify, reformat, edit, adapt, publish in searchable format, and remove such User-Generated Content and combine same with other materials, and (b) use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any User-Generated Content for any purposes whatsoever, including developing, producing, and marketing products and/or services. In order to further effect the rights and license that you grant to us to your User-Generated Content, you also hereby grant to us, and agree to grant to us, the unconditional, perpetual, irrevocable right to use and exploit your name, persona, and likeness in connection with any User-Generated Content, without any obligation or remuneration to you. Except as prohibited by law, you hereby waive, and you agree to waive, any moral rights (including attribution and integrity) that you may have in any User-Generated Content, even if it is altered or changed in a manner not agreeable to you. To the extent not waivable, you irrevocably agree not to exercise such rights (if any) in a manner that interferes with any exercise of the granted rights. You understand that you will not receive any fees, sums, consideration, or remuneration for any of the rights granted in this Section 5(C).
- Notices, Questions and Customer Service
You agree that: (i) we may give you notices of new, revised or changed terms and other important matters by prominently posting notice on the home page of the Service, or in another reasonable manner; and (ii) we may contact you by mail or email sent to the address provided by you. You agree to promptly notify us if you change your email or mailing address.
If you have a question regarding using the Service, you may contact us via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You acknowledge that the provision of customer support is at our sole discretion and that we have no obligation to provide you with customer support of any kind.
- Links by You to the Service
We grant you a limited, non-exclusive, revocable, non-assignable, personal, and non-transferable license to create hyperlinks to the Service, so long as: (a) the links only incorporate text, and do not use any Trademarks; (b) the links and the content on your website do not suggest any affiliation with us or cause any other confusion; and (c) the links and the content on your website do not portray us or our products or services in a false, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise offensive matter, and do not contain content that is unlawful, offensive, obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, violent, threatening, harassing, or abusive, or that violate any right of any third party or are otherwise objectionable to us. We reserve the right to suspend or prohibit linking to the Service for any reason, in its sole discretion, without advance notice or any liability of any kind to you or any third party.
- Linked-To Websites; Advertisements; Dealings with Third Parties
- Linked Sites; Advertisements. The Service may contain links, as part of third-party ads on the Service or otherwise, to or from third-party websites (“Linked Sites”), including websites operated by advertisers, licensors, licensees, and certain other third parties who may have business relationships with us. We may have no control over the content, operations, policies, terms, or other elements of Linked Sites, and we do not assume any obligation to review any Linked Sites. We do not endorse, approve, or sponsor any Linked Sites, or any third-party content, advertising, information, materials, products, services, or other items. Furthermore, we are not responsible for the quality or delivery of the products or services offered, accessed, obtained by or advertised at such sites. Finally, we will under no circumstances be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or special loss or other damage, whether arising from negligence, breach of contract, defamation, infringement of copyright or other intellectual property rights, caused by the exhibition, distribution or exploitation of any information or content contained within these third-party Linked Sites. Any activities you engage in connection with any of the same are subject to the privacy and other policies, terms and conditions of use and/or sale, and rules issued by the operator of the Linked Sites. We disclaim all liability in connection therewith.
- Dealings with Third Parties. Any interactions, correspondence, transactions, and other dealings that you have with any third parties found on or through the Service (including on or via Linked Sites or advertisements) are solely between you and the third party (including issues related to the content of third-party advertisements, payments, delivery of goods, warranties (including product warranties), privacy and data security, and the like). We disclaim all liability in connection therewith.
- Wireless Features. The Service may offer certain features and services that are available to you via your wireless Device. These features and services may include the ability to access the Service’s features and upload content to the Service, receive messages from the Service, and download applications to your wireless Device (collectively, “Wireless Features”). Standard messaging, data, and other fees may be charged by your carrier to participate in Wireless Features. Fees and charges may appear on your wireless bill or be deducted from your pre-paid balance. Your carrier may prohibit or restrict certain Wireless Features and certain Wireless Features may be incompatible with your carrier or wireless Device. You should check with your carrier to find out what plans are available and how much they cost. Contact your carrier with questions regarding these issues.
- Terms of Wireless Features. You agree that as to the Wireless Features for which you are registered for, we may send communications to your wireless Device regarding us or other parties. Further, we may collect information related to your use of the Wireless Features. If you have registered via the Service for Wireless Features, then you agree to notify us of any changes to your wireless contact information (including phone number).
- Dispute Resolution
Certain portions of this Section 10 are deemed to be a “written agreement to arbitrate” pursuant to the Federal Arbitration Act. You and we agree that we intend that this Section 10 satisfies the “writing” requirement of the Federal Arbitration Act. This Section 10 can only be amended by mutual agreement.
- First – Try to Resolve Disputes and Excluded Disputes. If any controversy, allegation, or claim arises out of or relates to the Service, the Content, these Terms, or any Additional Terms, whether heretofore or hereafter arising (collectively, “Dispute”), or to any of our actual or alleged intellectual property rights (an “Excluded Dispute”, which includes those actions set forth in Section 10(D), then you and we agree to send a written notice to the other providing a reasonable description of the Dispute or Excluded Dispute, along with a proposed resolution of it. Our notice to you will be sent to you based on the most recent contact information that you provide us. But if no such contact information exists or if such information is not current, then we have no obligation under this Section 10(A). Your notice to us must be sent to: Boom Entertainment, Inc., 5670 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 450, Los Angeles, CA 90036. For a period of sixty (60) days from the date of receipt of notice from the other party, we and you will engage in a dialogue in order to attempt to resolve the Dispute or Excluded Dispute, though nothing will require either you or us to resolve the Dispute or Excluded Dispute on terms with respect to which you and us, in each of our sole discretion, are not comfortable.
- Binding Arbitration. If we cannot resolve a Dispute as set forth in Section 10(A) (or agree to arbitration in writing with respect to an Excluded Dispute) within sixty (60) days of receipt of the notice, then ANY AND ALL DISPUTES ARISING BETWEEN YOU AND US MUST BE RESOLVED BY FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION. THIS INCLUDES ANY AND ALL DISPUTES BASED ON ANY PRODUCT, SERVICE OR ADVERTISING CONNECTED TO THE PROVISION OR USE OF THE SERVICE (WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, STATUTE, REGULATION, ORDINANCE, TORT – INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE, FRAUD, ANY OTHER INTENTIONAL TORT OR COMMON LAW, CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION, RESPONDEAT SUPERIOR, AGENCY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY – AND WHETHER ARISING BEFORE OR AFTER THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THESE TERMS. The Federal Arbitration Act (“FAA”) shall govern the arbitrability of all disputes between us and you regarding these Terms (and any Additional Terms) and the Service, including the No Class Action Matters section below. BY AGREEING TO ARBITRATE, EACH PARTY IS GIVING UP ITS RIGHT TO GO TO COURT AND HAVE ANY DISPUTE HEARD BY A JUDGE OR JURY.
A Dispute will be resolved solely by binding arbitration administered by the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services Inc. (“JAMS”), in accordance with the then-current streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures (“Rules”) of, or by any other arbitration administration service that you and an officer of Give Comics Hope or our legal representative consent to in writing. All Disputes shall be determined by one arbitrator; however, if Disputes exceed Five Million Dollars, upon our request, the Disputes shall be decided by three arbitrators. All arbitration hearings shall commence within ninety (90) days of the demand for arbitration and close within ninety (90) days of commencement and the award of the arbitrator(s) shall be issued within thirty (30) days of the close of the hearing. However, the arbitrator(s), upon a showing of good cause, may extend the commencement of the hearing for up to an additional sixty (60) days. If an in-person arbitration hearing is required, then it will be conducted in the “metropolitan statistical area” (as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau) where you are a resident at the time the Dispute is submitted to arbitration. You and we will pay the administrative and arbitrator’s fees and other costs in accordance with the applicable Rules; but if applicable Rules or laws require us to pay a greater portion or all of such fees and costs in order for this Section 10 to be enforceable, then we will have the right to elect to pay the fees and costs and proceed to arbitration. The arbitrator will apply and be bound by these Terms and any Additional Terms, and will determine any Dispute according to applicable law and facts based upon the record and no other basis, and will issue a reasoned award only in favor of the individual party seeking relief and only to the extent to provide relief warranted by that party’s individual claim. Issues relating to the enforceability of the arbitration and class action waiver provisions contained herein are for the court to decide.
- Limited Time to File Claims. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IF YOU OR WE WANT TO ASSERT A DISPUTE (BUT NOT A EXCLUDED DISPUTE) AGAINST THE OTHER, THEN YOU OR WE MUST COMMENCE IT (BY DELIVERY OF WRITTEN NOTICE AS SET FORTH IN SECTION 10(A)) WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE DISPUTE ARISES — OR IT WILL BE FOREVER BARRED. Commencing means, as applicable: (a) by delivery of written notice as set forth above in Section 10(A); (b) filing for arbitration with JAMS as set forth in Section 10(B); or (c) filing an action in state or Federal court. The parties expressly waive any contrary statute of limitations or time bars, both legal and equitable, to the Disputes.
- Injunctive Relief. The foregoing provisions of this Section 10 will not apply to any legal action taken by either party to seek an injunction or other equitable relief in connection with, any loss, cost, or damage (or any potential loss, cost, or damage) relating to the Service, any Content, and/or our intellectual property rights (including such we may claim that may be in dispute), our operations, and/or our products or services.
- No Class Action Matters. YOU AND WE AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING OR AS AN ASSOCIATION. Disputes will be arbitrated only on an individual basis and will not be joined or consolidated with any other arbitrations or other proceedings that involve any claim or controversy of any other party. There shall be no right or authority for any Dispute to be arbitrated on a class action basis or on any basis involving Disputes brought in a purported representative capacity on behalf of the general public, or other persons or entities similarly situated. But if, for any reason, any court with competent jurisdiction holds that this restriction is unconscionable or unenforceable, then our agreement in Section 10(B) to arbitrate will not apply and the Dispute must be brought exclusively in court pursuant to Section 10(F). Notwithstanding any other provision of this Section 10, any and all issues relating to the scope, interpretation and enforceability of the class action waiver provisions contained herein (described in this “No Class Action Matters” section), are to be decided only by a court of competent jurisdiction, and not by the arbitrator. The arbitrator does not have the power to vary these class action waiver provisions.
- Federal and State Courts in Los Angeles County, California. Except where arbitration is required above, small claims actions, or with respect to the enforcement of any arbitration decision or award, any action or proceeding relating to any Dispute or Excluded Dispute arising hereunder may only be instituted in state or Federal court in Los Angeles County, California. Accordingly, you and we consent to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of such courts for such matters.
- Small Claims Matters Are Excluded from Arbitration Requirement. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either of us may bring qualifying claim of Disputes (but not Excluded Disputes) in small claims court of competent jurisdiction.
- DISCLAIMER OF REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES
YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS”, “AS AVAILABLE”, AND “WITH ALL FAULTS” BASIS. Therefore, to the fullest extent permissible by law, we and our subsidiaries and each of our respective employees, directors, members, managers, shareholders, agents, vendors, licensors, licensees, contractors, customers, successors, and assigns (collectively, the “Organization Parties”) hereby disclaim and make no representations, warranties, endorsements, or promises, express or implied, as to:
(a) the Service (including the Content);
(b) the functions, features, or any other elements on, or made accessible through, the Service;
(c) any products, services, or instructions offered or referenced at or linked through the Service;
(d) whether the Service or the servers that make the Service available are free from any harmful components (including viruses, Trojan horses, and other technologies that could adversely impact your Device);
(e) whether the information (including any instructions) on the Service is accurate, complete, correct, adequate, useful, timely, or reliable;
(f) whether any defects to or errors on the Service will be repaired or corrected;
(g) whether your access to the Service will be uninterrupted;
(h) whether the Service will be available at any particular time or location; and
(i) whether your use of the Service is lawful in any particular jurisdiction.
EXCEPT FOR ANY SPECIFIC WARRANTIES PROVIDED HEREIN OR IN ADDITIONAL TERMS PROVIDED BY AN ORGANIZATION PARTY, ORGANIZATION PARTIES HEREBY FURTHER DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT OR MISAPPROPRIATION OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF THIRD PARTIES, TITLE, CUSTOM, TRADE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, SYSTEM INTEGRATION, AND FREEDOM FROM COMPUTER VIRUS.
Some jurisdictions limit or do not allow the disclaimer of implied or other warranties so the above disclaimers may not apply to the extent such jurisdictions’ laws are applicable.
- LIMITATIONS OF OUR LIABILITY
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ORGANIZATION PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, including personal injury or death or for any direct, indirect, economic, exemplary, special, punitive, incidental, or consequential losses or damages that are directly or indirectly related to:
(a) the Service (including the Content);
(b) your use of or inability to use the Service, or the performance of the Service;
(c) any action taken in connection with an investigation by Organization Parties or law enforcement authorities regarding your access to or use of the Service;
(d) any action taken in connection with copyright or other intellectual property owners or other rights owners;
(e) any errors or omissions in the Service’s technical operation; or
(f) any damage to any user’s computer, hardware, software, modem, or other equipment or technology, including damage from any security breach or from any virus, bugs, tampering, fraud, error, omission, interruption, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer line, or network failure or any other technical or other malfunction, including losses or damages in the form of lost profits, loss of goodwill, loss of data, work stoppage, accuracy of results, or equipment failure or malfunction.
The foregoing limitations of liability will apply even if any of the foregoing events or circumstances were foreseeable and even if Organization Parties were advised of or should have known of the possibility of such losses or damages, regardless of whether you bring an action based in contract, negligence, strict liability, or tort (including whether caused, in whole or in part, by negligence, acts of god, telecommunications failure, or destruction of the Service).
Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages of the sort that are described above, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
EXCEPT AS MAY BE PROVIDED IN ANY ADDITIONAL TERMS, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL ORGANIZATION PARTIES’ TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU, FOR ALL POSSIBLE DAMAGES, LOSSES, AND CAUSES OF ACTION IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE AND YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THESE TERMS, EXCEED AN AMOUNT EQUAL TO THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID US IN CONNECTION WITH THE TRANSACTION(S) THAT UNDERLIE THE CLAIM(S); PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THIS PROVISION WILL NOT APPLY IF A TRIBUNAL WITH APPLICABLE JURISDICTION FINDS SUCH TO BE UNCONSCIONABLE.
- Updates to Terms
These Terms (or if applicable Additional Terms), in the form posted at the time of your use of the applicable services to which it applies, shall govern such use (including transactions entered during such use). AS OUR SERVICE EVOLVES, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH WE OFFER THE SERVICE MAY PROSPECTIVELY BE MODIFIED AND WE MAY CEASE OFFERING THE SERVICE UNDER THE TERMS OR ADDITIONAL TERMS FOR WHICH THEY WERE PREVIOUSLY OFFERED. ACCORDINGLY, EACH TIME YOU SIGN IN TO OR OTHERWISE USE THE SERVICE YOU ARE ENTERING INTO A NEW AGREEMENT WITH US ON THE THEN APPLICABLE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND YOU AGREE THAT WE MAY NOTIFY YOU OF OTHER TERMS BY POSTING THEM ON THE SERVICE (OR IN ANY OTHER REASONABLE MANNER OF NOTICE WHICH WE ELECT), AND THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE AFTER SUCH NOTICE CONSTITUTES YOUR GOING FORWARD AGREEMENT TO THE OTHER TERMS FOR YOUR NEW USE AND TRANSACTIONS. Therefore, you should review the posted terms of service and any applicable Additional Terms each time you use the Service (at least prior to each transaction or submission). The new terms will be effective as to new use and transactions as of the time that we post them, or such later date as may be specified in them or in other notice to you. However, the terms of service (and any applicable Additional Terms) that applied when you previously used the Service will continue to apply to such prior use (i.e., changes and additions are prospective only) unless mutually agreed. In the event any notice to you of new, revised or additional terms is determined by a tribunal to be insufficient, the prior agreement shall continue until sufficient notice to establish a new agreement occurs. You should frequently check the home page, and the email you associated with your purchases for notices, all of which you agree are reasonable manners of providing you notice. You can reject any new, revised or Additional Terms by discontinuing use of the Service and related services.
- General Provisions
- Our Consent or Approval. As to any provision in these Terms or any Additional Terms that grants us a right of consent or approval, or permits us to exercise a right in its “sole discretion,” we may exercise that right in its sole and absolute discretion. No consent or approval by us may be deemed to have been granted by us without being in writing and signed by an officer of Give Comics Hope.
- Applicable Law. These Terms and any Additional Terms will be governed by and construed in accordance with, and any Dispute and Excluded Dispute will be resolved in accordance with, the laws of the State of California, without regard to its conflicts of law provisions.
- Indemnity. You agree to, and you hereby, defend, indemnify, and hold Organization Parties harmless from and against any and all claims, damages, losses, costs, investigations, liabilities, judgments, fines, penalties, settlements, interest, and expenses (including attorneys’ fees) that directly or indirectly arise from or are related to any claim, suit, action, demand, or proceeding made or brought against any Organization Party, or on account of the investigation, defense, or settlement thereof, arising out of or in connection with, whether occurring heretofore or hereafter: (i) your use of the Service and your activities in connection with the Service; (ii) your breach or alleged breach of these Terms or any Additional Terms; (iii) your violation or alleged violation of any laws, rules, regulations, codes, statutes, ordinances, or orders of any governmental or quasi-governmental authorities in connection with your use of the Service or your activities in connection with the Service; (iv) information or material transmitted through your Device, even if not submitted by you, that infringes, violates, or misappropriates any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent, publicity, privacy, or other right of any person or entity; (v) any misrepresentation made by you; and (vi) Organization Parties’ use of the information that you submit to us (all of the foregoing, “Claims and Losses”). You will cooperate as fully required by Organization Parties in the defense of any Claim and Losses. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Organization Parties retain the exclusive right to settle, compromise, and pay any and all Claims and Losses. Organization Parties reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any Claims and Losses. You will not settle any Claims and Losses without, in each instance, the prior written consent of an officer of an Organization Party.
- Operation of Service; Availability of Products and Services; International Issues. We control and operate the Service from its U.S.-based offices in the U.S.A., and we make no representation that the Service is appropriate or available for use beyond the U.S.A. If you use the Service from other locations, you are doing so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws regarding your online conduct and acceptable content, if and to the extent local laws apply. The Service may describe products and services that are available only in the U.S.A. (or only parts of it) and are not available worldwide. We reserve the right to limit the availability of the Service and/or the provision of any content, program, product, service, or other feature described or available on the Service to any person, entity, geographic area, or jurisdiction, at any time and in our sole discretion, and to limit the quantities of any content, program, product, service, or other feature that we provide. You and we disclaim any application to these Terms of the Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.
- Severability; Interpretation. If any provision of these Terms, or any Additional Terms, is for any reason deemed invalid, unlawful, void, or unenforceable by a court or arbitrator of competent jurisdiction, then that provision will be deemed severable from these Terms or the Additional Terms, and the invalidity of the provision will not affect the validity or enforceability of the remainder of these Terms or the Additional Terms (which will remain in full force and effect). To the extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to waive, and you hereby waive, any applicable statutory and common law that may permit a contract to be construed against its drafter. Wherever the word “including” is used in these Terms or any Additional Terms, the word will be deemed to mean “including, without limitation,”.
- Communications. When you communicate with us electronically, such as via email and text message, you consent to receive communications from us electronically. Please note that we are not obligated to respond to inquiries that we receive. You agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing.
- Investigations; Cooperation with Law Enforcement; Termination; Survival. We reserve the right, without any limitation, to: (i) investigate any suspected breaches of its Service security or its information technology or other systems or networks, (ii) investigate any suspected breaches of these Terms and any Additional Terms, (iii) investigate any information obtained by us in connection with reviewing law enforcement databases or complying with criminal laws, (iv) involve and cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating any of the foregoing matters, (v) prosecute violators of these Terms and any Additional Terms, and (vi) discontinue the Service, in whole or in part, or, except as may be expressly set forth in any Additional Terms, suspend or terminate your access to it, in whole or in part, including any user accounts or registrations, at any time, without notice, for any reason and without any obligation to you or any third party. Any suspension or termination will not affect your obligations to us under these Terms or any Additional Terms. Upon suspension or termination of your access to the Service, or upon notice from us, all rights granted to you under these Terms or any Additional Terms will cease immediately, and you agree that you will immediately discontinue use of the Service. The provisions of these Terms and any Additional Terms, which by their nature should survive your suspension or termination will survive, including the rights and licenses you grant to us in these Terms, as well as the indemnities, releases, disclaimers, and limitations on liability and the provisions regarding jurisdiction, choice of law, no class action, and mandatory arbitration.
- Assignment. We may assign our rights and obligations under these Terms and any Additional Terms, in whole or in part, to any party at any time without any notice. These Terms and any Additional Terms may not be assigned by you, and you may not delegate your duties under them, without the prior written consent of an officer of the organization.
- No Waiver. Except as expressly set forth in these Terms or any Additional Terms, (i) no failure or delay by you or us in exercising any of rights, powers, or remedies under will operate as a waiver of that or any other right, power, or remedy, and (ii) no waiver or modification of any term of these Terms or any Additional Terms will be effective unless in writing and signed by the party against whom the waiver or modification is sought to be enforced.
- Connectivity. You are responsible for obtaining and maintaining all Devices and other equipment and software, and all internet service provider, mobile service, and other services needed for your access to and use of the Service and you will be responsible for all charges related to them.
- California Consumer Rights and Notices. Residents of California are entitled to the following specific consumer rights information: you may contact the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the Department of Consumer Affairs by mail at: 400 R St., Suite 1080, Sacramento, California 95814, or by telephone at (916) 445-1254. Their website is located at: http://www.dca.ca.gov.